So the 16 or 25 or more random things about you notes have been making the rounds on Facebook. Such fun. They're slightly more entertaining to write than a root canal.
One of the random notes has a list of 239 films. You're supposed to mark whether or not you've seen the film and if you mark more than 85 you apparently have no life. Looking at the list, it's clear that whoever wrote it can't be more than 25. And what kind of judgment is that any way? I can't have seen more than 85 films from the last decade or two (excepting sequels and series) without being a loser? Really?
Well, I beg to differ. That list left off scads of films. According to IMDB.com, there were 289 films in wide release in 2008. I'm a fan of American film. I know a lot of people think it's shallow and meaningless but I beg to differ. And don't even get me started on the Academy and their inability to see anything that makes big box office as worthy of a win. let's just say that I gave up on the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences when they gave the Oscar to Annie Hall instead of Star Wars. Please.
I will someday make a list of the films I think have been most influential and most meaningful. It will by its very nature be a subjective list. But it will be mine.
But for now, I'll just share 16 random facts via Facebook:
1. One of my earliest memories is sitting on the floor in my living room watching Star Trek-The Original Series.
2. My family was on vacation in Wyoming when Armstrong landed on the moon. My grandfather wanted to stay and watch. My sisters wanted to go see the movie/tv series set of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. They won.
3. I had exploratory surgery when I was 9 to try and discover what was the cause of my legs swelling. It was and is lymphedema.
4. I believe there is no such thing as idiot proof but that you can make something idiot resistant.
5. I have been to England, Scotland and Ireland.
6. I used to bowl for the University of Texas. Really. We had a bowling team.
7. I was convinced when my children were young that I was going to cause them so much damage that they would end up in therapy for the rest of their natural lives.
8. I drink way too much Diet Coke.
9. I'm trying to lose weight and am on Weight Watchers for like the fifth time.
10. I have never smoked anything- cigarettes, marijuana, nada.
11. I have however drunk so much that I've puked more than once.
12. Keeping your foot on the floor while laying in bed drunk does actually work to keep the room from spinning off into space.
13. I was a Girl Scout leader for 13 years but was never in Girl Scouts as a child.
14. I WILL NOT MISS SELLING COOKIES THIS JANUARY. FIND ANOTHER SOURCE CAUSE IT AIN'T GONNA BE ME EVER AGAIN.
15. I have been hospitalized three times with lymphedema related complications/infections.
16. I have never dyed my hair.