Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's February 26th

And I just turned on the AC because it was 81 degrees in my house when I got home from work.

We went to dinner and then the grocery store and expected to come home to nice, cool house.  No dice.  Since this was the first time the AC had been run in, oh at least 2 months, it of course decided not to cool.

Seems like the AC filter was full of Myrddin hair and other unmentionables and froze up.  All is well (and cool) now that we let it rest while putting away the groceries and beat the worst of the dust out of the filter.  Since we just got back from the store and really didn't want to make a return trip for a new one.

Anyway, living in Texas is always an adventure.  We can go from 80 degrees one day to near freezing the next.  So while I haven't seen snow in almost a decade, I do get to run the AC in what's supposed to be winter. 

Speaking of this mild weather, this is the last week of Girl Scout Cookie sales in our area.  This is the first time in 13 years that I've not had cookies taking over my house and my weekends filled with cookie booths.  I've joked for a long time that winter doesn't really start in Austin until January 18th or thereabouts when the sale starts.  This year, it's been really mild weather.  I think that's patently unfair.  I froze my ass off for years and now this global climate change crap is making cookie sales a breeze.  And when we were selling cookies it seemed like I couldn't turn around without tripping over a Girl Scout.  This year, I've seen two booths. Two!  And the only cookies I bought were from Daisies.  That's just wrong.

Ask me if I miss selling cookies.  Really.  Don't be shy.

3 comments:

Keely said...

Do you miss the selling of the cookies, or just the cookies themselves??

Stacy Hackenberg said...

I most assuredly DO NOT miss the selling. If you've never had the pleasure it's really hard to describe. Not only is it generally in the winter, so the chocolate won't melt, but the politics of it all gets over the top. And just let me be clear, it's almost, as in 99% of the time, the adults who are to blame for the worst of what goes on.

As far as the cookies go, after 13 years, I can take them or leave them. If I find me a Girl Scout to buy from, then I will. If not,then that's okay, too.

Sidhe said...

AC, really? Oh, we had a winter snow warning on the same day.

Actually, I'm not really all that jealous, I vaguely remember being too hot to function when I lived in Florida...something in between would be nice (I guess I am going to Japan in a couple of days and that's probably somewhere in between).

I like to buy Girl Scout cookies now but I never liked selling them when I was a Scout. Some girls' parents took their orders at work and other adult places, but I had to go door-to-door (that was back when you could still do that, not that we probably should have been).