Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pissed off at Democrats?

No matter how betrayed you may feel by the complete lack of spine and intestinal fortitude that Democrats in Washington, including our very own President, have shown in the last few months, do you really want to vote in the alternative?

I'm pissed that DADT was allowed to fail, along with the DREAM act and the funding of the entire military. I'm pissed that the Dems have decided to postpone voting on taxing the rich until after the mid-term elections. I'm pissed that our "fierce advocate" has failed to actively support the dismantling of DADT and hasn't pushed Congress to stand up to the Repubs. Not on one. damn. thing.

There's a certain satisfaction in voting out those who fail to support our causes, who fail to act on what they believe is right because they're afraid of losing their elections. But what is the alternative?

Do we really want to have people like Christine O'Donnell in Congress? Would Sharron Angle be better for the country than Harry Reid?

Staying home isn't an option either. That's just the passive aggressive way to lose.

I say screw the pundits. Screw the polls. Choke back your anger and disappointment and remember that things could be worse. Things will be worse if Democrats fail to vote or vote for the Green party or Libertarian candidate out of anger.

Sometimes, it really is a choice between the lesser of two evils and we Democrats must remember that. No matter how ineffectual our candidates and Congress Critters may seem, it could be worse. We could end up with someone in Congress who makes Michele Bachmann look sane.

We've tried this strategy before - this vote them out if they can't follow through. Sounds good on principle. But the reality is that until we can get someone on the ballot who has a spine, we must take what we can get.

Or we deserve exactly what we get come November if the Congress flips.

6 comments:

LeftLeaningLady said...

I am with you 100%. I am fighting with one of my blogging friends in south Florida who says he is staying home. And what happens if Rick Scott becomes my governor?!?!

Fragrant Liar said...

I hear ya. I'm a registered Independent (a moderate liberal), but I can't see anything good coming from the ridiculous Tea Party other than pushing Dems and other forward-thinkers out to vote. Problem is, only the crazies are motivated to vote right now. The liberals are too complacent, and it's killing us!

Fragrant Liar said...

P.S. I can't believe you put Michele Bachmann and sanity in the same sentence. That's just nonsensical!

Wild Child said...

I'm worried about our state voting in a Republican senator and a Republican governor. It seems everywhere I turn it is the Republican supporters. It makes my stomach turn thinking about it. I will make my voice heard and say that I don't want to go back to the alternative. I fear that we will. The only consolation I have is that the Republicans will screw it up so bad like Hoover did during the Great Depression, that we will go back to 40 years of a Dem congress. Unfortunately, a lot of us will hurt while they mess it up. It just seems some people need to be really beaten over the head with the fact that the Republican economic solution and health care, and a myriad of other things is the WRONG direction.

Raven said...

Well said, and I'm with you all the way. Anything is better than having Republicans take over again.

Chris said...

VOTE!!!!!!