Saturday, April 9, 2011

We The People - Move to Amend

There is a national movement that I have just discovered called Move to Amend. As the name suggests, they are working towards a constitutional amendment. Specifically, an amendment that would overturn the Citizens United ruling.

In recent Wisconsin elections, Dane county and the city of Madison passed referendums supporting this effort. Communities in California and Minnesota have proposed or passed similar resolutions.

On the Move to Amend website, I was unsurprised to find that Texas has no chapters. My husband is not an overly political person but this is something he feels strongly about - the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling was a disaster with wide ranging negative impact -something we agree on.

Move to Amend states the following:
We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United, and move to amend our Constitution to:
* Firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.
* Guarantee the right to vote and to participate, and to have our vote and participation count.
* Protect local communities, their economies, and democracies against illegitimate "preemption" actions by global, national, and state governments.
The Supreme Court is misguided in principle, and wrong on the law. In a democracy, the people rule. We Move to Amend.

If this is something you agree with, I encourage you to check out their website and see if there are any local groups or chapters in your state. If there are none, think about starting one.

We are. Anyone want to join us?

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I'll join you! I think Citizens United is terrible. My husband and I don't agree on everything politically, but we're on the same page on this one.

LeftLeaningLady said...

I do feel like I should do something, but there are no groups local to me & I do not have time to organize one. :-(

Good for you though! Keep up the great work!