Thursday, November 5, 2009

A battle lost but not the war

We lost in Maine. We won in Kalamazoo and Washington state. Openly lesbian Annise Parker is in a run-off for mayor of Houston. So, things could be worse. As in all things political, we won some and we lost some.

I think though, that there is room for hope. Despite the fact that Maine voted 53 to 47 to repeal same-sex marriage, on the University of Maine- Orono campus the results are telling:  81% No, 19% yes. Time is on our side.

The struggle for LGBT rights is not over. We, allies and LGBTs alike, need to remain vigilant. We need to be open and visible. We need to continue to voice our concerns and our demands. Too many are silent.

The results reminded me of a song. Jo Dee Messina had a big hit a few years ago with this song by Billy Montana and Helen Darling. I give you, "Bring on the Rain":
 
Another day has almost come and gone
Can't imagine what else could go wrong
Sometimes I'd like to hide away somewhere and lock the door
A single battle lost but not the war cause

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

It's almost like the hard times circle 'round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated
And I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but I'm not dead, no

Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the rain

No I'm not gonna let it get me down
I'm not gonna cry
And I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight cause

Tomorrow's another day
And I am not afraid
So bring on the rain



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish the results would have been better too...BUT I do love thAT song...